Family Visas

Contributory Parent Visa -Subclass 173

Contributory Parent Visa 173 allows the parent(s) to visit Australia on a temporary basis for a period of 2 years.

Contributory Parent Visa (Temporary)-Subclass 173

With Temporary Parent visa 173 you can

  • live in Australia for up to 2 years
  • work and study in Australia (you will not receive government support)
  • apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) visa
  • You must

  • be sponsored by an eligible child who is a settled Australian citizen, Australian Permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen
  • meet the balance-of-family test
  • meet all visa conditions and follow Australian law
  • not have already applied for or hold a Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (Subclass 870) visa when applying for this visa
  • Apply for a Contributory Parent (subclass 143) visa

    You can spread the cost of the permanent visa over a number of years by applying in 2 steps:

  • first, apply for the temporary Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa, then
  • apply for the permanent Contributory Parent (subclass 143) visa
  • How long you can stay

  • This is a temporary visa. You can stay in Australia for 2 years.
  • The visa period starts on the date you enter Australia after you are granted the visa.
  • The visa is granted with multiple entry. You can travel outside Australia and return as many times as you want within two years.
  • Apply from

  • You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa.
  • If you apply in Australia, any family members who apply with you must also be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply. If you apply outside Australia, any family members who apply with you must also be outside Australia when you apply.
  • If you apply for this visa in Australia while on a temporary visa with a no further stay condition, your application will be invalid, unless you apply for a waiver of this condition.
  • Hope Immigration Services is Here to Help
    We understand that it can sometimes be frustrating, stressful and confusing when you want apply for a visa to Australia.

    If you need further information about Contributory Parent Visa, Call us on (02) 8678 5756 to arrange a personal consultation with one of our Registered Migration Agents.

    Willing to move forward?

    • Global Leaders

    • Since 2009